We have broken down our top iCloud service tips from setup to troubleshooting and cool features you might not know about. Need expert help with setup and using all of the iCloud service's features? Stop by Experimac for help with your iCloud account and setup today.
What is the iCloud service?iCloud is the Apple, Inc.® service designed to keep all of your Apple devices in sync; imagine being able to synchronize your iPhone® device, iPad® tablet, iPod® device and computers. It works by keeping all of your photos, files, and even videos stored on iCloud.com, your iOS® devices and even on Windows® computers. By synchronizing your Apple® devices with the iCloud service, you can prevent data loss while increasing accessibility of these files, photos and other items you need from anywhere you have Internet access.
Top iCloud service features
- Find your iPhone device - if you ever lose your phone, you can activate "Find your iPhone" feature and set an alarm to find it
- iTunes® service on the cloud - download, keep and share your music files between all of your devices
- Synchronize your calendar, emails and contacts across all of your devices
- iBooks® service - have all of your favorite electronic books available on all of your devices
- Photo Stream® service - be able to access any of your photos from your iPhone device, iPad tablet or other Apple devices/computers
Having trouble using the iCloud® service? No problem!Although we would love to say to that setting up the iCloud service is intuitive for every user, sometimes it's not. Here are Experimac's top tips:
When setting up
- Make sure your device is running the latest version of iOS software.
- Turn on the iCloud service by following the instructions in the setup assistant.
- Enable automatic downloads.
When troubleshootingShould you encounter any problems accessing iCloud services, be sure to complete these steps first:
- Check to make sure there haven't been any outages or scheduled maintenances currently affecting the iCloud service.
- Be sure to update your device to the latest software version.
- Ensure you are logged in to the iCloud service with your Apple ID® account on your iOS device.
How to choose the right storage planWhen you sign up for the iCloud service, you automatically get 5GB of storage. If you need more iCloud storage space:
- Go to Settings, select your name, iCloud service then iCloud Storage. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings, iCloud, then Storage.
- Select Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
- Choose a plan, then select Buy and enter your Apple ID password.
How to access filesThere are many ways of accessing files in your iCloud Drive® storage space:
- You can use iCloud Drive at com.
- When using a Mac® computer, go to the iCloud Drive in Finder.
- When using an iPhone device, iPad tablet, or iPod Touch® device with iOS 9 or later, access your files from the iCloud Drive app.
- When using a PC with Windows 7® operating system or later and iCloud for Windows®, go to iCloud Drive in File Explorer.
Do you like using Dropbox®? Enable your iCloud account with the same features
- To make your iCloud service more like Dropbox, first check that "Documents & Data" is turned on by going to iCloud System Preferences.
- Open the Finder window and hit Command + Shift + G.
- A dialogue box will open and inside. Type "~/Library". This will let you into your hidden Library Folder.