Whether it falls in the pool, a puddle or maybe even the toilet, dropping your iPhone® in water is something that's happened to the best of us and is often fixable. Take a look at this step-by-step guide with the best steps to take should this happen to you:
- Don't Panic Fight the temptation to panic should you drop your phone in water. Get the phone out of the water right away! Keep in mind that this happens all the time and this is reparable. By panicking, you may fail to take the best measures in preventing further damage to your iPhone®. Damage to your phone can increase the longer it takes you to dry off your phone. The longer it sits in the water, the more time you're allowing water to get in through the phone's seams.
- Turn Off and Wipe Off Your Phone Liquids can short-circuit electronic devices due to conductivity, so once you've picked up your phone, turn it off immediately. Don't turn it back on, charge it or connect it to anything until you've allowed at least 48 hours for it to dry out. Be sure to wipe it off with an absorbent scratch-free cloth, paying special attention to the headphone jack and charge port. Remove and dry the SIM card and tray if your phone happens to be an AT&T/GSM model, and allow 48 hours before reinserting.
- Try Rice Placing your phone in a sealable plastic bag or other conainer filled with 4 cups of uncooked instant rice could possibly help your phone dry off. Uncooked instant rice, or silica gel, have been known to absorb liquids in phones, without harming the phone. The grains of rice or pieces of silica are too large to enter the phone and damage it; however, they have been known to assist in absorbing liquids.
- Check Warranty Options Be sure to check your warranty once your iPhone® has dried. Unfortunately, liquid damage is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty nor is it covered by AppleCare® coverage. Some iPhone® buyers invest in third party warranty options such as Asurion or SquareTrade, which can offer coverage for submersion or spills depending on the policy you have. Try to file a claim to replace your damaged iPhone® regardless of the phone's condition.
- Visit Experimac - Liquid Cleaning If, after exhausting these steps, you still find your iPhone® is damaged, consider liquid cleaning as your last attempt to save it. Come by and visit your local Experimac store today where we are able to offer you many iPhone® repair services including liquid cleaning. Our liquid cleaning service is safe, effective, and offered for many Apple® products. Our trained professionals will carefully dry excess liquids, gently scrub away any corrosion, and apply a safe 91% alcohol solution to clean and dry out the phone completely.